Developed, grown and made in Australia.
View our range of puppy and dog food options and find a retailer near you.
At Black Hawk, our team of veterinarians and pet nutritionists have developed a range of recipes designed to support your dog’s health and vitality and every stage of life. Using only premium Australian ingredients, our dog foods are proudly produced in rural New South Wales to the highest standards to help support your puppy and adult dog’s overall health, vitality and well-being. Your best friend deserves the best, so that’s what we put into our dog foods – healthy, Australian ingredients in optimal blends to support your dog’s lifestyle.
Original Puppy Food for Small Breeds - Chicken and RiceMore
Original Puppy Food for Small Breeds - Lamb and RiceMore
Original Puppy Food for Medium Breeds - Chicken and RiceMore
Original Puppy Food for Medium Breeds - Lamb and RiceMore
Original Puppy Food for Large Breeds - Chicken and RiceMore
Original Puppy Food for Large Breeds - Lamb and RiceMore
Grain Free Puppy Food for All Breeds - Ocean FishMore
Dog Food - Lamb and RiceMore
Dog Food - Fish and PotatoMore
Dog Food - Chicken & RiceMore
Dog Food for Large Breeds - Chicken & RiceMore
Dog Food for Small Breeds - Lamb and RiceMore
Grain Free Dog Food - ChickenMore
Grain Free Dog Food - Australian LambMore
Grain Free Dog Food - Tasmanian SalmonMore
Grain Free Dog Food - KangarooMore
Grain Free Dog Food for Small Breeds - ChickenMore
Grain Free Dog Food for Large Breeds - ChickenMore
Grain Free Wet Dog Food - ChickenMore
Grain Free Wet Dog Food - LambMore
Grain Free Wet Dog Food - BeefMore
Grain Free Wet Dog Food Tray - ChickenMore
Grain Free Wet Dog Food Tray - BeefMore
Grain Free Wet Dog Food Tray - LambMore
Working Dog Food - Lamb and BeefMore
The taste they’ll love, the nutrition they need.
Unlike other brands that may appear cheaper, every Black Hawk ingredient is carefully selected for nutritional value, with no empty calories from grains or other fillers. Each individual component that makes it into our recipes has a nutritional purpose, so you’ll never find wheat, corn, soy, gluten, artificial preservatives, colours, flavours or any unnecessary fillers in our dog foods.
Black Hawk dog food is highly palatable so you can rest assured that not only is it balanced, healthy and nutritious, but your dog will love the taste and look forward to eating it every day.
Dog food for every stage of life.
The key to a healthy and happy dog is feeding them a nutritious and balanced diet right from the very start. As your beloved pet grows, their dietary needs will change and their diet should reflect those changes. For instance, puppies need a nutrient-dense, high-energy diet to help fuel their growing bodies, while older dogs need lower-energy food that’s formulated for joint health and other issues faced by older pets.
At Black Hawk, we’ve developed optimal dog food blends for puppies and adult dogs of all sizes, breeds and lifestyles to help support them through every stage of life.
Puppy Formulas are specifically developed to meet the nutritional needs of your growing puppy, nurturing their brain and body for optimal growth and development, providing them with the best start to life no matter their breed, age, size or level of activity. Our Ocean Fish Grain Free Puppy Food, for instance, is ideal for growing pups and is made up of 50% fish, fish oil, meat proteins and fat, with the other 50% being vegetables, fruits and vegetable oils – that's it, no fillers and plenty of healthy fats and oils for healthy growth. We also offer specialist small, medium and large breed puppy foods which have been specially formulated for different sized puppies based on their nutritional needs in their early stages of growth.
Adult Dog Food
Black Hawk Adult Dog Formulas are complete and balanced foods specifically developed for adult dogs and designed to meet their vitamin and mineral needs. Balanced nutrition is essential for maintaining a healthy body and mind throughout your dog’s life. We stock a blend to suit any dog from our Lamb & Beef Working Dog Food for sustained energy in busy dogs to our gentle and nutritionally balanced Chicken Grain Free Dog Food for Small Breeds.
What makes Black Hawk pet food so good?
To put it simply, the thing that makes Black Hawk pet food so good is our ingredients. Every ingredient in every recipe has been carefully selected by our team of vets and pet nutritional experts for its nutritional value – every item used in our pet foods provides a benefit, whether it's energy, joint health ,brain function, or others..
As we say, “every ingredient matters”, so everything we pack into our dog foods is there for the benefit of your dog or puppy. Here are some of the ingredients we use in our pet foods.
Fruit and Vegetables
- Pumpkin – Brimming with beta-carotene for vitamin A creation and fibre for healthy digestion, pumpkin is known to help maintain eye health and overall digestive wellbeing.
- Apple – “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, not just for humans, either! We include apples in some of our products thanks to their high levels of vitamin C and potassium as well as their abundance of insoluble and soluble fibre.
- Beet pulp – This powerhouse vegetable is essential for promoting good gut health. With its high levels of prebiotics and fibre, beet pulp can help your pet develop healthy gut bacteria and improve their digestive health.
- Berries – Full of vitamin C and powerful antioxidants, our blend of cranberries and blueberries may help boost your pet’s immunity and improve their overall health.
- Carrots – Rich in the antioxidant beta-carotene, carrots may promote eye health and immunity , as well as being a source of dietary fibre.
- Sea kelp – Iodine is vital for supporting healthy metabolismand thyroid function . Sea kelp is naturally rich in iodine and provides a readily available source of this important essential nutrient to your dog’s diet.
- Sweet potato – Packed full of complex carbohydrates for energy, antioxidants for health and fibre for digestion, this colourful vegetable provides a healthy and nutrient-dense source of energy for your pet.
Herbs and Roots
- Rosemary – Packed full of antioxidants and flavour , rosemary is also a highly effective natural preservative used to keep your pet’s food fresher for longer. This nutritious herb helps fight free radicals in your pet's body for better cell function.
Dandelion – For digestive health and immune system support .
- Chicory root – Full of prebiotics which supports the growth of healthy gut bacteria and may boost intestinal health.
Nuts and grains
- Oats – These polysaccharide-rich grains provide a fantastic source of energy and deliver a high level of B vitamins and manganese for overall health.
- Beef – 100% Australian beef helps puppies and dogs build muscle, support blood function and energy metabolism. Packed full of iron, this high-quality protein source will keep your pet energetic and healthy.
- Chicken – Our 100% hormone-free Australian chicken is a wholesome source of protein full of chondroitin and glucosamine.
- Eggs – This easy to digest, very high quality protein source contains all essential amino acids and promotes healthy growth and muscle development.
- Emu oil – This naturally anti-inflammatory and healing product is packed full of omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids for eye, skin, joint and brain health. Read more about the benefits of emu oil for dogs.
- Kangaroo – Kangaroo meat is naturally lean and packed full of vitamin B12, thiamine and iron for increased energy , nerve health and brain health. This highly digestible, healthy and sustainable meat source is ideal for supporting your dog’s overall vitality and health.
Black Hawk dog food is extremely rich in nutrients and is packed with only the best ingredients hand-selected for the benefits they’ll bring to your pet. All the nutrition they need with no unhealthy or artificial ingredients and only natural preservatives.
Original versus Grain Free – what’s the difference?
At Black Hawk, we offer nutritious dog foods in both Original and Grain Free formulas in wet and dry dog food varieties. Grain Free Formulas are higher in protein and ideal for dogs prone to dietary sensitivities or for owners who wish to exclude grain from their dog’s diet. Black Hawk Wet Dog Food can be fed as a complete, nutritionally balanced meal or in combination with dry food to supplement your dog’s meal and provide some added variety.
Both Grain Free and Original dog foods are packed full of nutrition and come in a variety of options for dogs of different sizes and ages including specially formulated puppy food options.
Where is Black Hawk dog food made?
At Black Hawk, all our dog foods are made in rural NSW from Australian ingredients. We proudly support local Australian farmers and regional communities by sourcing all our ingredients from Australian growers. Your pet deserves the best, and the best comes from local producers who are committed to quality. We conduct regular inspections and audits of all our suppliers and factories to ensure our products are made to the highest standards so you can rest assured you’re getting the best possible nutrition for your pup.
When should I switch from puppy food to dog food?
Smaller dog breeds of up to 5kg adult weight should transition from puppy food to adult dog food from 8 months. Medium dog breeds weighing 15kg to 30kg (adult weight) should transition from puppy to adult dog food from 12-15 months. Large and extra-large breeds of 30kg or more should transition from puppy to adult dog food from around 15-22 months.
Each individual dog is different so you should always seek veterinary advice for personalised treatments. When it comes time to make the switch to adult food it’s important to introduce the new diet slowly, ideally over a period of two weeks to give your dog’s digestive system time to adjust.
Can I give adult dog food to my puppy?
You should feed your puppy specially formulated puppy food. While it won’t harm your puppy to occasionally have adult dog food if you run out of puppy food, they will benefit far more from a diet of nutritionally balanced puppy food. Puppy foods typically contain higher levels of fat and energy compared with adult dog foods as puppies require more energy as they grow and develop. They also have special requirements for amino acids and fatty acids. Much the same way a human child’s nutritional needs differ from those of an adult, a puppy requires tailored nutrition for the first 8 to 22 months of its life.
At Black Hawk, our team of nutritionists, together with the help of veterinarians, has developed a range of puppy foods formulated especially for growing puppies with calorie and nutrient-dense formulas to help them grow, learn and develop.
Does Black Hawk dog food contain preservatives?
Black Hawk wet and dry food contains only natural preservatives. A natural preservative is one that occurs naturally in nature, as opposed to a chemical preservative that is made synthetically such as BHT, BHA or ethoxyquin which are often found in cheaper brands. The natural preservatives we use in our products include rosemary extract, vitamin E (tocopherol) and vitamin C which not only help to preserve our food products but also add extra nutritional value to them.
Is Black Hawk a “complete diet” pet food?
Yes. Our pet foods are specially formulated to provide a complete diet solution – this means your pet will receive all the vitamins, minerals, protein and nutrition they need from our pet food. It’s important to note that every dog is different and your pet may have unique nutritional or medical needs which may require additional supplements to ensure optimal health. Please check with your veterinarian before giving any supplements to your dog.
You can also supplement your best friend’s diet with dog treats to help with training and as a reward for good behaviour. Our protein-rich jerky treats for dogs make an excellent occasional addition to your dog’s diet with ethically sourced human-grade ingredients supplied by our regional Australian producers. Oven-dried and made with natural preservatives, these treats can be used to teach your puppy new behaviours or to give your grown-up dog an extra treat.
What changes will I see in my dog after switching to Black Hawk?
When you switch from low-quality dog food to Black Hawk’s premium Australian dog foods you will notice a marked change in your pet. The benefits from a more nutritionally valuable diet will take some weeks to take effect, but you will undoubtedly see a huge improvement in the health and vitality of your dog when you feed them Black Hawk dog food.
- Shinier coat – Thanks to the high levels of healthy Omega fatty acids and oils in our dog food your pet will see a marked increase in the shininess and health of its coat. This change can take up to 6 weeks to take effect due to your dog’s natural hair growth cycle. Your dog's coat should start looking shinier and you may also notice less shedding and decreased amounts of dandruff.
- Healthier skin – Skin sensitivities in dogs maybe lessened through the Omega 3 fatty acids present in Black Hawk dog food. Our healthy dog food blends can help to strengthen your pet’s skin barrier against allergens and improve skin. Our Grain Free formulas are a popular choice amongst pet owners looking to improve their pet’s skin health.
- Higher energy levels – Cheap dog foods often contain lower quality ingredneits, which provide little nutritional value to your pet and make digestion difficult. Black Hawk dog foods on the other hand are all packed full of valuable, easily digestible protein and vegetables which means your pet uses less energy to digest its food and has more energy left over for running and playing.
- Less mess – One little-known benefit of a healthier, high-protein diet for dogs is the reduced amount of waste they produce. Because our formulas are easy to digest, more of your dog’s diet will be absorbed and less will be excreted as poo, meaning less time spent cleaning up after your dog.
How do I get my dog to transition to a new brand of pet food?
You can get your dog to transition to a new pet food brand by adding a small amount of the new brand to its current food and gradually increasing the ratio until it has moved to the new brand. For example, you might start with 25% new food to old for the first few days, then up it to 50% for the next few and then 75% and so on. This not only helps your pet get used to the taste of the new food, but also allows the good bacteria in your dog’s gut to adapt to the new ingredients.
The key when transitioning your pet from one diet to another is to do it slowly. Whether you’re switching from puppy food to adult food or from one brand to another, veterinarians recommend taking at least one, but preferably two weeks, to make the switch. If you rush your pet into starting a new diet too quickly they can experience diarrhoea or other digestive issues as their gut bacteria won’t have had time to adapt to the new food. While these symptoms should pass on their own, seek immediate veterinary advice if your pet’s condition deteriorates. We also recommend checking customer reviews before switching to a new wet or dry dog food.
How much should I be feeding my dog?
The amount of food your pet needs will vary depending on their age, weight, lifestyle and breed. Black Hawk pet foods come with a feeding guide which will offer a recommended serving size for your dog. It’s important to take into account changes to your pet’s lifestyle when following the standard feeding guide – remember, these guides are general and your pet’s needs may vary. For instance, if you are walking your dog less during the winter months or your pet isn’t as active as it used to be, it’s important to cut down its serving size to ensure it doesn’t gain too much weight.
You can also try our Feeding Calculator.