Here’s a quick checklist to help you settle in your new best friend.
- Give them access to only a small area at first until you are confident that your puppy or dog knows the house rules. These include toilet training.
- Spend quality time with your new pet, introducing them slowly to the rest of the household, both people and existing animals.
- Use crate training as a safe haven for your puppy or dog.
- Enroll your dog or puppy in training classes that promote positive reinforcement.
- Purchase appropriate toys and supplies, including walking equipment such as head collars or front-attached harnesses.
- Have realistic expectations of your new dog or puppy – they won’t know the rules immediately and will need your patience, love and guidance.
- Enjoy your new family member
Read Next: Q: Why do puppies need specific food?